Thanks for the great response to the event. Look forward to seeing all on Friday. If you plan to arrive early on Friday please e-mail me and I’ll recommend a ride for you.
FRIDAY (9/28) 6:00PM – Trials and cookout at Vance Elementary School (95 Clinton Avenue) in Asheville. Bring your unicycles to the cookout. Bring your own meat and beverage. We’ll provide the sides. All are welcome.
- Directions: From I-26/I-240 exit on Haywood Road (West Asheville). Go west. Follow Haywood Road for roughly one mile and turn left on Clinton Avenue, just beyond The West Asheville library and fire station. Go three blocks to 95 Clinton and park in the school parking lot on the left side of the street.
SATURDAY (9/29) 9:00AM –Lake Powhatan Parking Area, Bent Creek Experimental Forest (a unit of the Pisgah National Forest).
- There is a $2 per person/day fee (those camping at Lake Powhatan are free). The first ride will leave at 9:30 sharp. We’ll do a five – seven mile loop with options for shorter/longer loops. We’ll provide a photo copy of the map. The morning ride is easy to moderate with some technical sections: roots, log bridges, etc…
- Ride details: Deerfield Loop (#335) to Explorer Loop (#337) to Sidehill (#137A) via Bent Creek Road. Return on Campground Connector (#329).
- Directions to Lake Powhatan Parking Area/Campground from Interstate 26:
- Take exit #33 (Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP)/191)
- Go west towards the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- In 2.0 miles (approx.) – Turn right towards Lake Powhatan on Bent Creek Ranch Road.
- At 2.3 miles (approx.) – Stay left to Lake Powhatan on Wesley Branch Road.
- At 4.3 miles (approx.) – Fork left to Lake Powhatan Campground. Pay user fee at kiosk and continue straight to the parking area at mile 5.1 (approx.).
SATURDAY (9/29) Noon – We’ll meet back at the Lake Powhatan parking area for trials and a picnic lunch. Lunch is not provided so pack your lunch. Several restaurants are a ten minute drive from the parking area if you choose.
SATURDAY (9/29) 2:30 PM – Re-gather at the Lake Powhatan Parking Area. We will carpool to the Trace Ridge Trailhead roughly 30 minutes from the parking area. Trace Ridge is a technical downhill roughly three miles long. It is possible to ride a loop by ascending a fire road and trail or run a shuttle from the bottom of the trail.
SATURDAY (9/29) 7:00 PM – We’ll meet for Pizza and Beverages at Standard Pizza at 631 Haywood Road. Take I-26/I-240 towards Asheville. Exit on Haywood Road. Take two left turns and follow Haywood Road roughly 1.2 mile. Standard Pizza is on the right.
SUNDAY (9/30) 7:00 AM – Meet at 95 Clinton to carpool to an epic ride. POSTING SOON. An easy ride version will also be available.